Biochemistry - molecular & cellular
Master of Science in Biochemistry
We are pleased you are interested in the Master of Science in Biochemistry at the university in Frankfurt, the birth place of Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Our degree program is based on a long-standing tradition in biomolecular education and research. It aims to provide scientific knowledge and occupational skills to candidates so they can become independent researchers.
The program topics include, for example, cellular biochemistry and biophysical chemistry with a special emphasis on structural biology and membrane proteins. Students are additionally able to set their own focal points based on personal interests. Training takes place in close cooperation with the local research environment including the Max-Planck-Institute for Biophysics and the Paul-Ehrlich-Institute (Federal Institute for Vaccines and Biomedical Drugs).
Our graduates are qualified to continue to a PhD or begin a career in industry, business management, marketing, publishing, or business consultancies.
Detailed module descriptions and information on study regulations are available at https://www.uni-frankfurt.de/80938592/2019_08_13_MA_Biochemie.pdf (currently in German only).
If you have any further questions or need assistance, please contact us!
We are looking forward to welcoming you in Frankfurt!
Duration: The standard length of study is 4 semesters.
Language of instruction: English
Start of the program: Once per year at the beginning of the winter semester (mid of October).
Applications: The online application portal for Master's study programs can be found at www.uni-frankfurt.de/35791924.
There you will also find further details regarding the application process.
Deadline for applications: 01.06. - 15.07.
Mode of admission: Admission is restricted.
- Enrolment at the Goethe Universität Frankfurt.
- Bachelor’s degree in Biochemistry from a German higher education institution (or an equivalent academic degree).
Provisional admission is possible. Therefore at least 80 % of the credit points (CPs) required for the bachelor's degree (normally 144 CPs) must be achieved.
- Proven knowledge in (1) biochemistry and (2) biophysical chemistry/biophysics/physical chemistry. A minimum of 20 CP in areas (1) or (2) are required along with at least 5 CP for each subject.
- Applicants with international university accreditations must provide proof of German language skills according to the German language test for university entrance: DSH-2 certificate. For further details please see www.uni-frankfurt.de/50292407/.
Documents to be submitted
Documents to be submitted
- Personal data sheet/CV (1 A4 page)
- Letter of motivation (max. 2 A4 pages):
- What was your main focus of interest in your course of study so far?
- Why do you want to continue with a master program? What is your career goal?
- Why do you want to do a master program particularly at the Goethe university Frankfurt?
- Do you have any practical/professional experience (besides the Bachelor‘s program)?
- Copy of the Bachelor‘s degree and Transcript of Records
- If you are not already enrolled at Goethe-University: university entrance qualification (e.g. A-Level)
- Applicants from Vietnam and PR of China: APS certificate (original)