Conditions of admission
|Course content and focus areas
The overall objective of the programme is a more in-depth education in the areas of environmental sciences. The Master´s programme teaches students the necessary knowledge and skills that encourage them to think independently and act responsibly.
As the fields of activity in environmental sciences are constantly changing, the programme aims to teach students to make themselves familiar with new developments and to learn the ropes of new areas quickly, and to contribute to new research and technology developments in their field of expertise.
Environmental sciences deal with processes in the biosphere, geosphere, hydrosphere and atmosphere, and how these are influenced by man. Understanding these processes and especially the interaction between the different compartments becomes increasingly important, for example with reference to global climate change and the consumption of resources coupled with the inflow of foreign matter into our ecosystems. It is a particular challenge to differentiate natural changes from changes that are caused by anthropogenic activities and to quantify these changes if possible. This requires a high degree of understanding of the processes, which students will be taught in the study programme. This understanding is usually not enough to correct environmental changes that are recognised as damaging. In most cases, correction requires a change in behaviour of the people involved in the processes. For this reason, the environmental sciences study programme includes social aspects such as consumer behaviour and an interdisciplinary approach to sustainability.
Information from the department
Master of Science in Environmental Sciences
The standard length of study for the Master of Arts is 4 semesters.
|Languages of instruction
|Start of the programme
The programme starts at the beginning of the winter semester.
|Student advisory service
Prof. Dr. Jörg Oehlmann
Institut für Ökologie Evolution und Diversität
Max-von-Laue-Str. 13 , Raum 2.316
Prof. Dr. Birgit Blättel-Mink
Institut für Soziologie Industrie-
Theodor-W.-Adorno-Platz 6 / PEG
D- 60323 Frankfurt am Main
Tel.: 069 / 798 36661
Prof. Dr. Martin U. Schmidt
Institut für Anorganische und Analytische Chemie
Max-von-Laue-Str. 7, Raum N140/315
to the top
Conditions of admission
- Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree or German Diplom in a natural sciences programme (especially life sciences, chemistry, earth sciences, meteorological physics or physics) or a state examination in a life sciences, chemistry or earth science discipline, or candidates can request that another discipline be accepted
- Study related courses in Chemistry, Physics, Athmospheres' Chemistry, Biological Science, Geopedology, Hydrology, Material Cycles and Social Ecology
- Letter of Motivation (1-2 pages)
The letter of motivation presents in particular the personal and specific interest in the Masters Course and which major of the course is most interesting
- the examination office may set other conditions (max. 30 CPs from the Bachelor’s programme)
- Applicants with an international university entrance qualification and Bachelor's degree must prove sufficient German language skills according to the regulations of the Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang (DSH), the German language test for university entrance.
Provisional admission is possible on the basis of a current transcript of records; at least 80% of the required for the bachelor's degree CP (normally 144 credit points) must have been obtained; the Bachelor’s thesis must be finished or almost finished.
Provisional admission is valid for 6 months.
|Mode of admission
Admission is not restricted.
The decision on the recommendation for approval is done on the basis of the marks of the first professional degree (51 %), the weighted arithmetic mean of student relevant courses for the Master's programme of the first professional degree (29%) and letter of motivation (20 %). The resulting overall rating must be at least 2,5.
to the top
|Documents to be submitted
- If you are not already enrolled at Goethe-University:
university entrance qualification (e.g. A-Levels)
- Bachelor’s degree certificate and transcript of records
- If the Bachelor's degree has not yet been completed:
- transcript of records or equivalent document listing the content of the study programme and average grade
-letter of recommendation from your supervisor (Download)
- proof of current enrollment in the bachelor programme
- letter of motivation (1-2 pages)
- comprehensive CV in tabular form
- If the first degree was obtained at an international higher education institution:
certificate of German language skills. See here for more information about the required German language skills.
- APS certificate for applicants from Vietnam and PR of China (original)
|Deadline for applications
01.04. - 15.07. for the winter semester
|Address for applications
Online application portal for Master’s programmes
to the top