- Backhaus, Eva
- Barz, Wolfgang
- Bianchi, Sarah
- Blöser, Claudia
- Bovisi, Karin
- Buddensiek, Friedemann
- Eckl, Andreas
- Egío García, José Luis
- Esmi, Ali
- Essler, Wilhelm K.
- Färber, Corina
- Fuhrmann, André
- Gava, Gabriele
- Gurisch, Simon
- Heller, Jonas
- Honneth, Axel
- Kasperski, Christina
- Kauss, Dominik
- Köhler, Frauke
- Krebs, Jakob
- Krüger, Ursula
- Kuch, Hannes
- Labude, Joachim
- Lepold, Kristina
- Lienemann, Béatrice
- Liptow, Jasper
- Loick, Daniel
- Lutz-Bachmann, Matthias
- Martinez Mateo, Marina
- Menke, Christoph
- Merker, Barbara
- Moellendorf, Darrel
- Müller, Andreas
- Nicolosi, Maria
- Odzuck, Sebastian
- Oechsner, Katrin
- Raimondi, Francesca
- Reh, Sabine
- Reuter, Gerson
- Ruda, Frank
- Russo, Maria
- Saar, Martin
- Schink, Philipp
- Schuff, Jochen
- Schweighöfer, Stefan
- Seel, Martin
- Seitz, Fabian
- Setton, Dirk
- Sierra, Rosa
- Spindler, Anselm
- Steinl, Gerhard
- Vendrell Ferran, Ingrid
- Vesper, Achim
- Wagner, Andreas
- Więckowski, Bartosz
- Willaschek, Marcus
Dr. des. Kauss, Dominik
|Sprechstunde:||Nach Vereinbarung per E-Mail||
|Anschrift:||Norbert Wollheim Platz 1
60629 Frankfurt am Main
Areas of Specialization / Current Research
- Belief and Credence. Their ontological and conceptual relation; certainty; “degree of belief”; Credal Sensitivism; subjective and epistemic interpretations of probability
- Singular Existentials. Their epistemology, semantics, pragmatics, and metaphysics
- Conceivability. Notions of conceivability and their inter-relations: believability, imaginability, thinkability; conceivability vs. metaphysical possibility; conceivability and its relation to experience and apriority
- Philosophy of Logic. Epistemic conceptions of logical validity; the significance of the contrast between classical and free first-order logic; first-order modal logic
- Meta-Semantics. The causal theory of reference; philosophical applications of two-dimensional model theory
Areas of Competence and Interest
- Epistemology. Epistemic entitlement; degree of evidential support; default entitlement
- Propositional Content. Individuation and conceptualization of content; coarse-grained vs. fine-grained accounts; content vs. implicature; modeling content; closure vs. openness of content
- Philosophical Puzzles. Fitch’s paradox of knowability; Russell's riddle of nonbeing; Makinson’s preface paradox; Kripke’s dogmatism paradox; Wright’s skepticism paradox
- Meta-Ontology. The ontological commitments of simple predication, first- and second-order quantification; nominalization, de-nominalization, and their effect on ontological commitment
- Truth. Realism, Antirealism, Deflationism
- History of Analytic Philosophy. Frege, Russell, Quine, Prior, Kripke
- "Existence and Believability". Pacific Philosophical Quarterly (forthcoming).
- "Realism and the Logic of Conceivability". Philosophical Studies (2020), https://doi.org/110.1007/s11098-020-01413-2.
- "Credence as Doxastic Tendency''. Synthese (2018), https://doi.org/10.1007/s11229-018-01938-4.
- "Bob Hale Necessary Beings – An Essay on Ontology, Modality, and the Relations Between Them. Oxford University Press, 2013. x + 298 pp. ISBN 978‐0‐19‐966957‐8 [Book Review]''. Theoria 80 (3): 277-282.
- "Realism and the Logic of Conceivability", delivered at the Department of Logic and Philosophy of Science, University of California, Irvine (Jun 1, 2019).
- "Realism and the Logic of Conceivability", delivered at the Work in Progress Seminar, Department of Philosophy, MIT (May 16, 2019).
- "Realism and the Logic of Conceivability", delivered at the General Meeting of the DFG research group What If (May 4, 2018).
- "Realism and the Logic of Conceivability", delivered at the Logics for Imagination workshop, Ruhr University Bochum (Mar 14, 2018).
- "Credence as Doxastic Tendency", delivered at Prof. Wolfgang Barz' Colloquium, Goethe University Frankfurt (Dec 18, 2017).
- "Existence and Believability", delivered at the collective colloquium of the Department of Philosophy, Goethe University Frankfurt (Aug 06, 2016).
- "Three Takes On Ontological Commitment", delivered at Prof. Stephen Read's colloquium on the Foundations of Logical Consequence, Arché, University of St Andrews (Jun 4, 2012).
- "Two Deflationist Conceptions of Truth And Their Problems", delivered at Prof. Volker Halbach's colloquium, University of Oxford (Feb 8, 2012).
- Decision Theory (Summer 2018)
- Epistemic Paradoxes, Advanced (Winter 2017/18)
- Epistemic Paradoxes, Introduction (Winter 2017/18)
- Belief and Probability (Summer 2017)
- The Philosophy of Propositional Content, Advanced (Summer 2017)
- The Philosophy of Propositional Content, Introduction (Summer 2017)
- Decision Theory and Game Theory (Winter 2016/17)
- The Ethics of Belief (Summer 2016)
- A priori Justification (Winter 2015/16)
- Analytic Philosophy of Language (Summer 2013)
- Current Debates in the Analytic Philosophy of Art (Summer 2013)
- Conceivability and Possibility (Winter 2012/13)
- Fitch's Paradox of Knowability (Summer 2011)
2019/Oct - 2020/Aug
2018/Jul - 2019/Jul
2010 - 2015
2003 - 2010
DFG scholarship holder and post doc visiting fellow at the Eidyn Research Centre, Department of Philosophy, University of Edinburgh (coordination partner: Martin Smith)
DFG scholarship holder and post doc visiting fellow at the Department of Linguistics and Philosophy, MIT (coordination partner: Stephen Yablo)
PhD thesis on Conceivability, Existence, and Logic (Supervisors: André Fuhrmann, Stephen Read)
DAAD scholarship holder and visiting student at the Arché Philosophical Research Centre for Logic, Language, Metaphysics and Epistemology in St Andrews (Supervisor: Stephen Read) and at the Faculty of Philosophy, Oxford (Supervisor: Volker Halbach)
Study of Philosophy, History-and-Philosophy-of-Science, and Musicology, mostly at the Goethe University Frankfurt, one semester at the Free University of Berlin and one at the University of Marburg. Magister Thesis on Quine’s Naturalized Epistemology and Semantics (Supervisors: André Fuhrmann, Jasper Liptow)