Study Schedule of the MEAS Programme
The first two semesters of the MEAS programme include:
- language courses for beginners (in Chinese, Japanese, and Indonesian as well as Korean*) and advanced learners (in Chinese, Japanese, Indonesian, Korean);
- core lectures and elective seminars on East Asian societies (China, Japan, Korea, South-East-Asia) from a social-scientific perspective;
- colloquiums and seminars on research skills, quantitative and qualitative methods.
In the third semester, students complete one of the following tracks: Research Track, Language Track, and Professional Track. Students write their MA thesis in the fourth semester.
1 = Social Sciences / students enrolling in language courses for beginners of an East Asian language
2 = Humanities / students enrolling in language courses at the advanced level
CP = credit points
SWS = course hours per week
1) Research Track: modules “Research Training”, “Electives”, “Research Skills”
Opting for the Research Track, students prepare for future PhD research. This specialization requires students to additionally attend seminars within the Elective and Research Skills modules of the MEAS programme. In the Research Training module, they, moreover, go to lectures and devise their own small research project.
2) Language Track: module “Language study in Asia”
In the Language Track, students refine their language abilities by enrolling in classes at a university in East Asia (China, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Taiwan) in order to enhance their communicative skills for their future career and research activities. Please note that, while we provide information, students organize their study abroad themselves.
3) Professional Track: module “Internship”
Doing an internship in an East Asia related professional environment, students in the Professional Track reflect and extend their academic know-how. Please note that, while we provide information on how to find an internship, students organize their internship themselves.