Conditions of admission
|Course content and focus areas
The consecutive Master’s degree programme builds on a Bachelor course of studies in Sociology and offers a research-oriented education in the sociological analysis of the modern economy in its social and historical contexts.
From a social sciences perspective the social, cultural, institutional and political foundations and references to economic activity and economic processes are investigated. Central topic areas are markets, work, culture of the economy as well as the institutional embedding of transnational economic processes. Particular emphasis is given to investigation of actors and processes on global financial markets. Frankfurt am Main, as one of the most important European locations for the global finance industry, and the Rhine-Main Region as a metropolitan region and logistics hub, are ideal starting points for analysis of socio-economic questions.
Information from the department
||Master of Arts in Economic Sociology and Sociology of Finance
||The standard length of study for the Master of Arts is 4 semesters.
|Languages of instruction
|Start of the programme
||The study programme starts at the beginning of the winter semester.
|Student advisory service
to the top
Conditions of admission
- Admission to the Master’s programme requires a Bachelor’s degree in sociology or a comparable degree in a related or comparable study programme.
- Letter of Motivation (max. 700 words)
- Good English language skills (niveau B2) are to be proven by:
- five years of English lessons at school (the grade for English on the final certificate must be “satisfactory” or higher), or
- a level 2 UNIcert degree, or
- a TOEFL test (online score of at least 80, a computer-based score of at least 213, or a written test score of at least 550), or
- a certificate confirming a stay of at least six months in an English-speaking country, or
- the successful completion of a Bachelor’s programme in English including an English Bachelor’s thesis
- Applicants with an international university entrance qualification must prove sufficient German language skills according to the regulations of the Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang (DSH), the German language test for university entrance.
If the university entrance qualification for the consecutive Master’s programme (namely the Bachelor’s degree) has not yet been completed, you can apply for the programme with a transcript of records on the basis of at least 80% of the required for the bachelor's degree CP (normally 144 credit points). This provisional certificate must be issued by an office authorised to award grades or issue certificates. If a student is admitted, this will be on a provisional basis.
|Mode of admission
||Admission is restricted.
to the top
|Documents to be submitted
- if you are not already enrolled at Goethe-University:
a university entrance qualification (e.g. A-Levels)
- Bachelor’s degree certificate
- if the Bachelor’s degree has not yet been completed:
a transcript of records or equivalent document listing the content of the study programme and average grade
- certificate of English language skills (niveau B2)
- letter of motivation
- comprehensive CV in tabular form
- if the first degree was obtained at an international higher education institution:
certificate of German language skills. See here for more information about the required German language skills.
- you may need to submit other documents, depending on your country of origin and your previous education; please see the general information about applying for a Master’s degree
|Deadline for applications
||01.05. - 15.07.
|Address for applications
||Online application portal for Master's programmes