Nuha Askar, M.A.
Nuha Askar is a PhD candidate at Goethe University in Frankfurt am Main. She studied Anglophone Literatures, Cultures and Media at Goethe University and graduated with a Master degree in 2019. Her PhD project sees the Middle East as a locus of internal struggle. Under the title “Beyond the Single Story of the ‘Arab Nation’: Narrating Internal Dissent in Anglophone Middle Eastern Literature”, she examines contemporary anglophone narratives of Iraq, Syria and Lebanon namely after the American Invasion of Iraq in 2004. The project is supervised by Prof. Dr. Frank Schulze-Engler.
- Anglophone Literary and Cultural Studies
- Postcolonial Studies/Theory
- Middle Eastern Studies
- Nationalism Studies
- Creative writing:
She started her blog nuhaaskar.com in 2015 to share her thoughts on her own experience on topics such as exile, integration, refugees, coercive displacement of memory and individuals, (trans-)cultural dialogue and new homelands among others.
Selected Publications, Awards and Extracurricular Activities: [in chronological order]
- A second publication to the literary text “Between Here and There: How Much Do We Learn from Global Stories?” is forthcoming in “Brühwürfel”, the magazine of the Evangelisches Studienwerk Villigst
- Three literary Texts were published in the Butzbacher Zeitung, Butzbach: “The agony of choice”, “Would He Manage To?” & “Between Here and There: How Much Do We Learn from Global Stories?” on 13/03/2021, 24/02/2021 & 31/12/2020 respectively
- Member of the jury of the committee (B) for the selection of refugee students at the Evangelische Studienwerk Villigst, (04/2019 - 07/2019)
- Evangelische Studienwerk Villigst, Master Scholarship, (02/2018 - 12/2019)
- Guest Speaker at the aeWorldwide Seminar “Self-determination and Tales of Refugees” at Goethe University on 12/04/2018
- Three literary Texts were published in the Wetterauer Zeitung (newspaper), Bad Nauheim: “From Loss and Hope”, “The Desire to Belong”, “Crossing the Borders” on 23/12, 24/09 & 04/05/2016 respectively
- Guest speaker for three years in the forum “Intercultural Weeks”, organised by the specialist service “Women and Equal Opportunities” of the Women's Center Wetterau, Friedberg in 2016, 2017 & 2019
- Guest speaker in the “Share your Story” forum, organised by students of the University of Gießen on 14/05/2016
- “Crossing the Borders” text was nominated among the best ten-entries in worldmerit.org “share-your-story” Contest in June 2015
- First prize winner in the “Nestby Writing Contest for the Excellence in the Study of American Literature” organised by the American Cultural Center of the American Embassy in Syria on 07/05/2001