Junior Professorin für Islamische Archäologie und Kunstgeschichte
BA in the Department of Middle East Studies & Department of Bible, Archaeology and Ancient Near Eastern Studies, Ben Gurion University of the Negev (Israel)
Master in the Department of Middle East Studies, Ben Gurion University of the Negev (Israel)
PhD in the Asien-Afrika-Institut, Universität Hamburg (Germany), under the supervision of Prof. Stefan Heidemann and Prof. Donat Wehner. Dissertation title: “Landscaping Early Islam: The History of Settlement in Central Israel during the 7th-11th Centuries through Archaeology, Terminology and Narratives”.
Post-Doctorate Marie-Curie fellow, Centre de Recherches en Archéologie et Patrimoine, Université libre de Bruxelles (Belgium).
- Since 2023
Junior Professor for Islamic Archaeology and Art History, Goethe-Universität Frankfurt am Main
- Settlement patterns and migration during the Early Islamic period
- The formation of Islam: beliefs, rituals, texts
- Economic and social history of the early medieval period
- The diffusion of knowledge and ideas
- Archaeological thought and method
- Landscape Archaeology
- Digital Humanities
Funded research projects
"Early Manifestations of Islam: A Critical Worldwide Survey of Mosques in the First Three Centuries of the Hijra (622-913 AD) through Archaeology and Arabic Terminology”, funded by the European Union's Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under the Marie Skłodowska-Curie grant agreement No 801505.
- Ḥajar online workshops on Islamic Archaeology (since 2021).
- Material sources for Early Islam and Late Antique Near East website, organized by Ed Hayes and Petra Sijpesteijn, Leiden University (since 2019).
Monographs and edited volumes
- Nol, Hagit (ed.), 2021. Riches Beyond the Horizon: Long-Distance Trade in Early Medieval Landscapes (ca. 6th-12th Centuries), Medieval and Post-Medieval Mediterranean Archaeology Series 4, Turnhourt: Brepols. doi: 10.1484/M.MPMAS-EB.5.128663
- Nol, Hagit, 2022. Settlement and Urbanization in Early Islamic Palestine, 7th-11th Centuries: Texts and Archaeology Contrasted, Studies in the History of the Ancient Near East, Abingdon and New York: Routledge. doi: 10.4324/9781003176169
- Nol, Hagit (ed.), 2021. “Early Islamic Mosques Database”, Open Context, released on 2021-11-14. https://opencontext.org/projects/168-early-islamic-mosques-database
Articles, book reviews, and conferences